Friday, November 21, 2014

It's Beginning to SOUND a lot like Christmas


The official Christmas season is just too short for all the listening pleasure that Christmas carols bring to me.  We've fallen off the wagon and have started listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving.  Blame it on the fact that I don't have a Thanksgiving break, blame it on being far from home, or away from family, but whatever the cause, there is lots of music to be enjoyed and the time is now.
Toward that end, I'd like to invite some discussion about which albums and songs of Christmas are favorites, which are must-listen-tos and which are just a lot of fun.  Below is a list of 10 of my favorite albums, and a few singles in categories I made up.  Let me hear from you about which you agree with, which I was foolish to omit, or a new one you've recently discovered.  Happy listening!

Top Ten Christmas Albums (for today anyway)
1.  Charlie Brown's Christmas, mil gracias Vince Guaraldi
2.  Harry Belafonte's Christmas Album, voice of butter and velvet
3.  Pete Seeger's Christmas, unbridled joy and abandon
4.  Bach Magnificat, swoon worthy and a good review of basic Catholic Latin
5.  Croon and Swoon Christmas (1 and 2)
6.  Chieftain's Bells of Dublin, who has more fun than the Chieftains?  No one.
7.  Menotti's Amahl and The Night Visitors, Mommy issues aside, a great opera.
8.  Western Wind Ensemble:  Old Fashioned Christmas, Thanks Foofie, for the intro to this.
9.  The Nutcracker in all its forms, traditional, LA Guitar Ensemble, and especially Duke Ellington's Three Suites
10.  Handel's Messiah, the Album of Best Choruses from...

Winners in the Singles Category
Best Instrumental:  Carol of the Bells, Leonard Bernstein & the NY Phil or Anne Greenleaf, piano
Most Poignant:  I Heard the Bells, sung Harry Belafonte, lyrics by HW Longfellow
Most Fun: TIE:  Feliz Navidad and All I Want for Christmas
Best NEW Christmas single:  Perhaps Renee Fleming & Rufus Wainright's rendition of In The Bleak Midwinter

I know one ARG from Cameroon is sorry that "Blue X-Mas' isn't listed because she used to beg me to play that in the car....never.  Impress me, shock me, dazzle me, but let me hear what songs YOU love for Christmas.  I am sure there are endorphins in our ears that are released when we listen to good renditions of Christmas favorites.  My list is heavy with pieces that take me back to 1974 (year we were married and poor poor poor but happy anyway!) 1980s when our kids were young, or a certain house or certain time of happiness.  I've been fortunate to have many more songs that remind me of happy times than I do space on my list.  Sorry Ella, Frank, Oscar, I do love you, but I still will listen!

6 comments:

  1. Okay, not to shock anyone here, but I agree with many of Con’s picks. My independently formed list overlapped with hers on numbers 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, and 8. I disagree with #5 only to he extent that I’d include only Volume 1 (the second volume good, but it’s the also-rans). I’ve certainly no complaints about her other picks, but I’d substitute the following:
    1. George Winston, December. The whole album. And I’d add George’s recording of Carol of the Bells up there with Anne Greenleaf’s & Leonard Bernstein’s.
    2. A Medieval Christmas by Joel Cohen and the Boston Camerata Singers. Our ideas of Christmas come from the Middle Ages, and there is no better way to appreciate these roots than this album with original instruments and vocals in the style. Special mention: their albums of Baroque and Renaissance Christmas music.
    3. Christmastime by the Swingle Singers. The best of their Christmas pieces. Familiar tunes given a fun flair.
    4. Christmas Album by the Canadian Brass. Blame “Doc” Creighton and his Brass Choir that toured Shen elementary classrooms, but I have a weakness for these arrangements.
    5. On Yoolis Night by the Anonymous 4. It’s hard to pick a favorite from the Christmas albums we have by them, but I’ll go with this one. Heavenly harmonies. Annette and I heard them @ Clapp Hall, a treat.
    6. Christmas by the King’s Singers. Traditional carols done with beautiful vocals. Simple.


    Okay, I’ve got beyond ten. What of it? A lot of excellent music has not gone onto my list, but these are to be basics. And I won’t do categories, but I will suggest one bonus, although not music: Alec Guinness reciting T. S. Elliot’s “The Journey of the Magi”. Excellent.

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have very little knowledge of music, so I can't add to your list. But, I will enjoy all the music you have suggested. Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time-Life cds are my fav this time of year.. got them years ago and remain the one most played. Original artists, tons of Songs. The Time-Life Treasury of Christmas. Vol 1 and 2

    Another great.The Andy Williams Christmas Album-Sweet Little Jesus Boy is a tear jerker.

    Michael Buble's Christmas is very upbeat and fun. He is fun.
    Swingle Sisters! Ha... makes you get your work done..Drink a diet coke.. put this on and in a few hours the house is clean, something cooking in the oven, and your presents are wrapped
    Bells of Dublin- Chieftains... fav- O the Holly She Bears a Berry.. I know every word.. just ask Jake. :)
    I have a religious Christmas cd I have put together I listen to in the car all season--
    Andy Williams-Away in the Manager
    Becky Kelley-Where is the line to see Jesus?
    Bing Crosby-Adestes Fideles
    Carbon Leaf-What Child is This
    Harry Belefonte-Mary's Boy Child
    Luciano Pavarotti-Ave Maria
    Nat King Cole-Hark the Herald
    Perry Como- O Holy Night.
    Andy WIlliams- Silent Night

    ReplyDelete
  4. What! No Chipmunks!! This is just too hard. If I would have made my list before I read your blog, it definitely would have included CDs from both of your lists. Love them all but would highlight Western Wind Old Fashioned Christmas, which has been on my top 10 list since I found it years ago. If I remember correctly, you discovered the Croon & Swoon disc. It's been a favorite ever since and I agree with Steve that Vol 1 is the best. Other faves off of your lists that would also be on mine are LAGQ Nutcracker, Swingle Singers and The King's Singers A Little Christmas Music with Te Kanawa (don't know if that's the one Steve was referring to). Of course, Charlie Brown goes without saying. Anyway, I don't have access to all of my Christmas CDs but I'll add the following off the top of my head, not neccessarily in order of preference.


    1. NPR Jazz Christmas with Marian McPartland and Friends (Vol 1-3)
    2. Quink Vocal Ensemble Carols Around the World - nice small group instead of large choir with interesting repertoire
    3. Windham Hill Holiday Guitar Christmas - this would probably be found in the New Age bin at the record store if there still were record stores or bins for that matter. Just nice easy listening.
    4. Christmas with the Cambridge Singers - when I just want to hear standard Christmas carols sung by a traditional large choir.
    5. Benjamin Britten Ceremony of Carols - not sure which is my favorite recording. Currently listening to Harry Christophers The Sixteen.
    6. The Roches We Three Kings - David gave me this years ago. Nice mix of traditional carols & pop standards but not your usual arrangements. Tight harmonies with a bit of whimsy thrown in. Of course there are a couple of tracks I could do without but overall I really like it.

    Don't know who "homebase" is but also a good list. Can't beat the Time Life compilations & there's a couple on the religious car CD that I'm unfamiliar with so I'll be doing some Itunes browsing this week.

    I also broke my rule of not playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving when you gifted me Renee Fleming Christmas In New York. I'm enjoying it but think the jury is still out on this year's best new holiday CD. Will keep searching for a few more exciting new finds to add to our collections in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, reading all these lists and suggestions have got me itching to head over to iTunes for a little shopping spree. I may try and be discipline and stop at the public library and see if I can check out a few of these before I drop my money.

    Time-Life is without a doubt my #1. Such a great compilation. Solid beginning to end and gives a taste of different artists that I wouldn't have heard otherwise.
    Andy Williams is my #2. His voice. The fun and "schmaltz" of it all.
    Charlie Brown/Vince Guaraldi rounds out my top 3. Warms the heart like no other.
    Frank Sinatra, Micheal Buble, Bing Crosby, Swingle Singers, Chieftains, Rosemary Clooney, Croon & Swoon, those are my other favorite albums along with a couple Christmas compilation albums I rec'd from the Iowa Laoshi herself which include LAGQ, Mandolin and more.
    Top singles:
    Christmas in Dixie - Alabama
    Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
    Run Rudolph Run - Chuck Berry
    Mistletoe - Colbie Callait
    Baby Please Come Home - U2 (or Death Cab for Cutie)
    Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer - Jack Johnson (last verse is the best)
    Happy Christmas (War is Over) - John Lennon (the whispered lines at the beginning are great)
    The Christmas Song - Dexter Gordon
    The Peace Carol - the Muppets and John Denver
    Fairy Tale of NY - the Pogues
    What Christmas Means to Me - Stevie Wonder

    So excited to get some new holiday tunes this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Peace Carol by the Muppets? And I don't know it? hello itunes

    ReplyDelete