Monday, December 28, 2015

Biking and Driving

We took an arduous but rewarding bike ride through Central Otago, riding on the former Central Otago Railway Line which has been repurposed as a bike trail, and then back to our car via a trail with a little more adventure and shade next to the river.  While the biking was challenging in the direct sun of the Southern Hemisphere in December, it was easy compared to my return to driving a car.
  After biking over 20km (see map) and getting the subsequent rubber legs, it was my turn to drive.  I was happy to take my turn, but I soon realized there were several factors that would make this more like a video game where you try not to die while things jump out of the bushes and from behind rocks, very big mountainous-size rocks.
First problem:  the mountains. Where does an Iowa gal get practice driving that crazy winding switchback pattern?  She doesn’t, unless she’s transported to a perfectly lovely scenic place and is enjoying herself until someone asks her to drive. It was the day after Christmas (Boxing Day to this part of the world) so I suppose the traffic could have been far worse, but that wasn’t the problem.  I hadn’t driven in the last 3.5 years so it all felt rather strange to begin with, what with no back-seat-driving to do. The combination of driving on the wrong side of the road, on strange, challenging terrain with signs that posted numbers requiring a mathematical formula to understand all resulted in a rather tense beginning.  Rather like I was hoping not to kill myself and the 2 family members on board, while dealing with a gash on the palm of my left hand (biking mishap/fall) and trying to remember that every time I tried to use the blinkers I was greeted by a wave from the wipers, which are where the blinkers belong. 

It was approaching sunset, well, kind of, because the sun doesn’t completely set here until about 10:15, but nonetheless the sun was in that dangerous place in the sky that creates glare wherever you look.  Plus my sunglasses don’t fit so well, so as I sweated out my anxiety, my sunglasses in turn slid down my nose until I was left defenseless and rather blind. Oh, and did I mention the gearshift is also on my left instead of my right?  I did a lot of shifting in nothing but air for the first few tense minutes, then would do it again with the real gearshift.  After a while it seemed less odd, but never normal. Whatever made the British so contrary so as to decide they should drive the opposite of everyone else, and then spread it around the world when they were busy grabbling land and settlements? Could there be a logical answer?  I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment