Sunday, July 19, 2015

Northern Ireland, Tuscany, and Siena

We took a friend up on an offer to stay at a working farm in Northern Ireland, about 90 minutes outside of Dublin.  Mind blown ONCE.  Gorgeous plantings everywhere, quirky, ancient cottages restored with whimsical decorations, great company.  PICS HERE.  We hated to leave, but Tuscany called.

We arrived in Tuscany on Friday evening. Mind blown TWICE.  Immediate beauty everywhere, once we figured out how to get the hell out of the Florence airport, which took some time.  Italians, we found out last night when trying to get home in the dark from Siena, are not so interested in road signage.  Our house rental is a restored mill home with fantastic art work and antiques everywhere, lots of space for everyone, 3 or 4 terraces (I can't find them all) and very quiet and tranquil.  The WIFI is nonexistent, which is annoying, but we can drive into town about 15 minutes away and see if the world is turning without us.

Yesterday we took a day trip to Siena.  Mind blown THRICE.  I have to give a shout out to AK in Iowa City for telling me it was a highlight of her trip in March.  Was she ever right.  I could go back there every day, explore a different street, and be perfectly content.  The duomo alone was unbelievable.  When you walk into the cathedral square you are sure the Montagues and the Capulets just finished a sword fight nearby. Siena is the place that hosts the wild and crazy horse race known as the paleo, where various neighborhoods come waving their flags (very cool) and ride like lunatics around the town square until someone wins or everyone else has fallen.  I wasn't sad to miss it, but still, it's impressive to know they have that level of spirit.  PICS HERE.

Today we had a well-deserved rest day, where I was able to unpack, sort out the winter clothes I needed in Ireland (great country, awful weather), and restock with very light clothing, a la India.  It is extremely dry and pretty warm here during the day.  I also started a list of places in Tuscany I want to see, and added some as I read through the guest book of the house.  I figure if I stay here about 2 years, I can definitely do it all.  We will have a family meeting this evening over local pizza to discuss bids for ideas of how to make the most out of this incredible experience.  Part of me wants to stay inside the beautiful house and cook with the luscious produce of Tuscany, like God intended me to do.  Part of me wants to motor to every small town's morning market, go on as many winery tours as my body will allow, and go to Florence about 10 times, along with San Gimingano, Arrezzo, Greve, Siena again, etc  The only bad thing about traveling with my family is that we all have our own ideas, which we tend to think are pretty swell, so I must prepare diligently for the negotiations on what to do and where to do.  I wish all readers the chance to see this beautiful country.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you all are having a great adventure. So nice to see your photos. The art looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantasic pictures Thanks for sharing the good times. I could be your sous chef...:)

    ReplyDelete